Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A shift in fitness

     Hey everyone. Post number 125. Yep, that's right, we're at a buck and a quarter and still going strong. Sometimes I feel like I'm running out of stuff to talk about, but I realize that will NEVER happen.


     Ok, it happened... just kidding. Once again, I've been watching the Biggest Loser (such a fan), and I find it very refreshing. This season two new trainers have joined the show, and boy are they bringing some familiar things to the table. First off, they're both very boxing/fighting oriented, so they do a lot of high power output workout for the contestants. Not only that, they're bringing burpees in (and who doesn't love those), the Airdyne system (great for pose running), sleds/prowlers and ropes... and I know I've seen all this before (I'm sure you have too).

     It seems that there is a shift in the way we train our fitness. We, as CrossFitters, know this to be true. So its even more refreshing when you see people loosing hundreds of pounds using the same concept... speaking of which they do use the Concept2 rowers A LOT. But again, its refreshing to see contestants swinging Kettlebells or doing clean and jerks. It's going to show you don't have to be an Olympic Level athlete to train like one.

     Maybe this is a turning point. May people are finally getting away from the bicep curls and leg press, and instead doing pullups and squats. I sure hope so. If nothing else, we know what to do. So swing some weight, push your body... and do burpees.



St. Louis Affiliate Cup Team Event #1 from daniel thacker on Vimeo.

3,2,1 GO!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday's Skill/WOD


Skill:
Handstand walks
This was very exciting, I was able to walk abou 30 ft! I've never gone that far before, or even tried to do this in months. Goes to show that the work I've been doing is working.


WOD:
3 rounds
3 Deadlifts
3 Front Squats
3 Push Press
barbell with 75% bodyweight (120 lbs)
then run 200 m
3 rounds
3 Chest-to-Bar Pullups
6 Clapping Pushups
9 Air Squats
then run 400 m
Time - 5:36

No comments:

Post a Comment