Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

You know what really grinds my gears?

     What's the good word fitness enthusiasts? The good word is that it's another day and we're all still here (I REALLY live day to day). Anyway, pleasantries aside (if that was pleasant) its another day to ramble... and I take full advantage of that fact.


Fran can seem like an eternity

     So, you know what really grinds my gears folks? Getting to your local gym, and watching the shenanigans that ensue. Well, this morning I "kindly" offered a little CrossFit session to a small group of folks. While waiting to kick off our festivities on the basketball court there was a group of about 30 plus people doing a little "warm-up" before they went out and ran in 30 degree weather. Anyway, what I noticed was part of their warm-up was doing squats together. let me just say, watching that was painful. Not once did I see full depth, it was more of knees shooting forward to a 1/4 squat with rounded back. Believe me, I wanted to run out there and do an impromptu squat clinic... but I held back.

     In CrossFit, we are always going to be preaching proper form on anything we do. When teaching someone any movement it should always be to the progression of: 1) getting proper form 2) doing proper form consistently 3) Do the movement with intensity. Of course most WODs are going to be fast and intense, but we don't want you to start flailing around until you actually have a firm grasp on what needs to be done. That's why they have on-ramp session at most CrossFit boxes (including ours). During this time we are really hammering in the idea of proper form, that was once you get to taking the normal classes we can actually throw in a bit of intensity. Like Greg Glassman posed, "What would you rather have, form or intensity?" ... the answer is both.

     So there it is folks, make sure you are moving well. Check your ego at the door, slow down a little bit, and make sure the movements are done correctly. Not only will this prevent injury, it will also make you a more efficient athlete. So work hard folks, I know you have it in you.




3,2,1 GO!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday's WOD

Rest Day

No comments:

Post a Comment