Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Mobile and deadly

     Hello again everyone, and hello my to my 7th follower! Very exciting, now repeat after me:

You: "Hello, my name is ______, and I read the Frosh blog."
Everyone: "Hi _______!."

     Ok, so we all know each other again. Last weekend was uber busy, but very rewarding. Sunday, sacrificing 12 hours driving in the car, I was able to attend Kelly Starrett's Movement and Mobility Certification. I am convinced, the man is a mobility ninja! I'm sure anyone who gets the "opportunity" to take my classes will experience the knowledge I have gain. To those that don't have the chance, let me impart some wisdom on you right now.

Mobility WOD

     Again, if you're not following the Mobility WOD (link above)... what's wrong with you? Do you want to be stiff and inflexible?! I kid, I kid. But seriously, it's a great resource.

     Like me, many of you may be stuck at a desk job during the day... or as I like to think of it: sitting down for time. What better time than to practice our mobility! Are you sitting down right now? If you are, take a look at how your sitting. Are both feet planted on the ground? Is your stomach hyper-extended? Is your back nice and flat or is it rounded? Is you head neutral? Or (my favorite), are you shoulders rounded forward creating, what K-Star calls, "Douchebag Shoulder"?

D-Bag shoulder: You're doing it wrong!

     If you answered yes to any of the questions above, it's no wonder that you may be sore when trying to overhead squat! Do you think anyone gets up in the morning and says: "I'm going to spend 8 hours of my day compressed in some crappy form and then try to do Fran." ... that doesn't inspire confidence, it just makes me want to cringe, cry and run for the hills!

     So let's just try that today. Be the best you, you can be... by sitting in the best position you muster. Feet planted, stomach and back flat, shoulders back and head neutral. Just try it a couple minutes at a time (that's right Tabata sitting is no joke). If you forget and resort to what I like to call "Crap Position", get back to "Awesome Position" as soon as you've realized once you've done. You'll be surprised with the results..


NC/SC CrossFit Sectionals from Boomer Alred on Vimeo.

3,2,1 GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment