Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Consumer Review

     Hello again everybody. It's time for my first installment of many consumer reviews to come. Today I'd like to bring you a review of a very important piece of equipment we always use in our WODs... shoes!


Behold, the Inov 8 f-lite 195

     It was time for me to get with the times and see what the minimalist shoe craze was all about. I just received these in the mail yesterday, ordered from Again Faster. The shoe is very lightweight, about 8 oz and has a very thin heel, 8mm in the heel and 5mm in the toes. I immediately enjoyed the feel of these shoes. They were fairly flexible, so the movement of my feet were not restricted, and it felt like I was barely wearing anything at all.

     So, to give these things the ol' "college try", I warmed up yesterdays WOD with a nice run. Running in the Inov 8 was very comfortable. Since it was a minimalist shoe, it really helped to eliminate the heel strike that would normally happen. Needless to say, I was satisfied right off the bat. But that was just a short little jog... I needed a brutal WOD to really test them out. I got this from the Novemeber Painstorm, off of the CrossFit.com affiliate's page:

For time:
Ground-to-overhead 50 x Bodyweight (8,500 lbs)
Box Jump 75 x height in inches (5,325 in)
*choose desired weight/height, partition as desired*

I chose a 95lb barbell (90 reps) and a 20" box (267 reps)... time: 19:45

     Aside from the WOD being a swift kick in the ass, I felt fairly good. The shoes provided a great base for knocking out multiple Clean & Jerks, and the box jumps were just a breeze... even though I still ended up like the picture below.

This happens often... weird

     Everything said and done, I can say right now that I really enjoy these shoes. Maybe they won't have a cult following like the Vibrams and the Nike Frees I see so much of... but I'm happy with my purchase. So regardless of what shoes you use, hit the WOD hard!

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
     - Jack Handey

3,2,1 GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment