Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

5/3/1 is back!

     Let me start off with, "I'm sorry." I did not get a blog out yesterday, what with the days being very busy and night being busy and little sleep... it just didn't happen. I'm back now, and I'll try not to let that excuse fly too much. So, why don't we get to it?


     Ok, so the inclusion of the Wendler program has begun. I really like this program, and it has boosted my numbers greatly in the past. Seeing as how my strength has decreased, its time to get those numbers up! Let's review how this works, or at least how I'm making it work for me:

Movement:
A Squat
B Bench Press
C Deadlift
D Press

Rep scheme
1 - 3 sets x 5 reps (65%, 75%, 85%)
2 - 3 sets x 3 reps (70%, 80%, 90%)
3 - 5/3/1 (75%, 85%, 95%)
4 - 3 sets x 5 reps (60% 65%, 70%)

So....

Week 1 - Mon: A1 / Wed: B1 / Fri: C1
Week 2 - Mon: D1 / Wed: A2 / Fri: B2
Week 3 - Mon: C2 / Wed: D2 / Fri: A3
Week 4 - Mon: B3 / Wed: C3 / Fri: D3
Week 5 - Mon: A4 / Wed: B4 / Fri: C4
Week 6 - Mon: D4 / Wed: 1RM test A & B / Fri: 1RM test C & D

     When I did this before I did this with a 4 week cycle and tested on week 5. If the movement wouldn't fit in that week I would bump up the next time it showed up. This time I'm not going to be jumping around with the weight, it will actually be in order... porobably like it originally should have. In addition to this I'm doing the "Big but Boring" program. here's an example of Monday.

Squat:
135 lbs x 5
155 lbs x 5
175 lbs x 5
then...
105 lbs Sumo Box Squat x 5 sets x 10 reps (60 sec rest between sets)
... and 24 burpees

     So I did the noted reps above, and then about 5 minutes after I loaded the bar with 50% or my max. I focused on solid form with speed. Since its at 10 reps this is more hypertrophy work (building muscle). I'm not trying to "get huge" or "ripped", but... big muscle moves big weight, and at some point I'm going to need more of the later to achieve the former.

     This may not be the CrossFit model of Constantly Varied, but I have goals in mind during this deployment, and that is to boost my strength numbers. I'm still working on my MetCon and my skills, so don't you worry. Now plug in the numbers, complete the work... and do burpees.


No video today, instead I have a great quote by our good buddy Coach Rip:

On response to a guy who had some life problems lately and afraid of sounding like a "pussy": "You don't sound like a pussy at all. You sound like a normal human being, just like me, who thankfully has a barbell to keep him sane when things get shitty...and realize that one workout out of thousands does not affect your overall progress. Training is a process, not the events of one day"

3,2,1 GO!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday's WOD:

Push Press 3 x 2
135 lbs
155 lbs
165 lbs (f)
I just wanted to keep putting the stress of heavy weight on my body, and I haven't done heavy push presses in a long time. I figures 3 sets of 2 reps would be good, and not kill me for Bench Press tomorrow. To be clear I did get 1 at 165 lbs, just didn't get the other.
 
WOD:
7 minute AMRAP
3 Pullups
3 Stups
6 Pullups
6 Situps
9 Pullups
etc... (just like WOD 11.6, the never-ending ladder)
Rounds - 21 + 16 Pullups
That just felt good. I believe that added up to be exactly 100 pullups, I don't feel tired one bit!

Day 25 Burpee Challenge / 325 Burpees Total
Damn! 300's here we are! We are half-way to our first test... that's right, Day 50 is going to be for time, so be ready!

*3511*

No comments:

Post a Comment