Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The thrill of competition

     Hey guys and gals. We're are closing in our countdown to Christmas, Haunika, Kwanza, the New Year and the end of the burpee challenge. I'm sure you folks can't wait for that last one to end. That and I bet you can't wait for the ramble to start. So don't let you keep me waiting.


     Just wanted to throw something your way that I witnessed last night. The thrill of competition. The crew at CFe were thowing it on line for "Strongest of the Night" it was a strength endurance type WOD that had increasing reps on the deadlift.

     Anyway, when you have a WOD like this with a group of competitive men and women, odds are you're going to push more than you would, just being alone. Have you ever experienced this? Putting everything on the line for a competition. It doesn't have to be a sanctioned CrossFit throwdown to feel this (just like I saw last night).

     I've experienced this personally at a local competition. I wasn't even gunning for first, I was just trying to finish a WOD (as I was the last one finishing). However, I was working with a Clean and Jerk near my max, and the crowd cheering for me was what got it overhead. If I was in the garage... I might have just pulled out a DNF.

     There's nothing like it. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Or seen something similar? Post stories, thoughts, questions or comments below. Compete at CrossFit, compete at life... and do burpees!


alchemy crossfit from Russell Gibbs on Vimeo.

3,2,1 GO!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday's Training:

4 min AMRAP
3 135lb Clean and Jerk
4 Handstand Pushup
Rounds - 4

3 min rest

4 min AMRAP
5 55lb Russian Kettlebell Swing
6 Air Squats
Rounds - 9

3 min rest

4 min AMRAP
7 25lbs Dumbell Thrusters (it the only weight I had)
8 Burpees over Dumbells
Rounds 3+7

I was shooting for not killing myself. The first portion was more strength based, the second was heavy breathing AMRAP, the third was a combination of the two.

December Burpee Challenge
17/31 Completed, 153 Burpees Total

*3511*

No comments:

Post a Comment